Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Book Worm Wednesday

I wasn't sure what books to write about today but while I was at Taekwondo there was a book lying out by the same author as one I enjoyed. Celia Rivenbark wrote "Stop Dressing Your Six-Year-Old Like a Skank" which is a hilariously funny book about southern living. Now I'm a Yankee - born and raised in upstate NY - but I can appreciate her humor. It's worth a read and will help pass the time for those of you in the intense waiting! Also a good beach read (something you can pick up and put down pretty easily).

I also took a peek at my childrens' bookshelves for some ideas. The "Little Quack" books have amazing illustrations and are sweet stories about a Mama duck and her ducklings. "Little Quack's New Friend" includes a frog who is different from the rest of them and at first is a bit of an outcast but then they all learn to be friends. Sweet and a good book to discuss similarities and differences with kids. My favorite is "Little Quack's Bedtime." It's a very sweet book about a Mama Duck putting her ducklings to bed and calming their fears along the way. Just thought I'd share these. I haven't read a lot of adoption kids books yet so I don't have those to review but I have read a lot of general kids books so those are easy to write about. ;)

Also - a friend of mine recommended "The Calligrapher's Daughter" which is set in Korea in the early 20th century during Japan's occupation of Korea. I haven't read it yet but it sounds like an interesting novel with some good Korean culture and history mixed in.

I'd still love to hear any recommendations out there! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment