Friday, May 27, 2011

Adjusting our plans

Well, SWS (the Korean agency that our American agency partners with) has run out of EPs (exit permits, the number of children the Korean government allows be adopted internationally each year) for the year. It's fairly early this year but they gave out a lot of referrals early in the year which is unusual from what I've heard.

Our agency has said that they aren't going to give out any more referrals until fall to keep the time between referral and travel on the shorter side (3-4 months). Travel is likely to resume around late January (again, according to our agency's best guess based on their phone conversation with SWS). Other agencies that work with SWS are just saying that the wait for travel has increased a whole lot. Not sure which is accurate. Not sure which is better. The unknown of who our child is and what the future holds is starting wear on us. But I know once I see that sweet child's face I will want him (or her) in my arms SOON!

What does this mean for us? For those of you who don't know, we're moving to Arizona. Our original plans were that we wouldn't be leaving this area until late summer (believing we'd have a referral and USCIS approval by then). Now we're taking the summer to move out and get settled. It works out better for B and E because there's no concern about them starting school on time. We're taking a bit of a cross country trip and it'll be about 2 weeks for the kids and I to get out there (fortunately only 3-4 of those nights will be in hotels). Brian is going to spend those two weeks working and unpacking (don't I have the best husband ever! - then again, he doesn't have to drive cross country with kids....). When we get there we should be able to get settled pretty quickly and get moving on our home study update. Our agency here is contacting Dillon in AZ to facilitate this. Hopefully we'll talk with them early next week so we can do things like get medical exams, etc. done here before we move to save time. Hopefully we'll get everything updated and then we won't have to wait long for a referral.

We have prayed for God to work out the details of our move and our adoption. This is NOT the answer I wanted, but I know it's part of God's will and we will know that it is "good, pleasing, and perfect" once we see how it all unfolds.
These two verses continue to come to mind:

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:2

8 comments:

  1. Oh Christy, I'm so sorry you all are having to wait this long for a referral. I agree that it's better to not know and then have to wait a year to travel. But that the same time dying to know who your child is. I can't even begin to imagine how hard this is. Good luck with your move this summer. I know that this is all God's timing, but sometimes God's timing (even though better for us) is so very difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no Christy, I am so sorry. I have been thinking about you since yesterday when I heard the news about SWS and have been wondering if you would be affected. This is all so shocking and unexpected. I love the verses you chose, His will and timing are perfect even when we can't understand it. I will be praying for His perfect peace for you. It is so hard to readjust our expectations in this process.

    I contacted Dillon last week. The lady I spoke with was wonderful! She did say we basically had to do a whole new home study, but it did seem like some things would transfer over (I am hoping CHSFS will share our MD background check and our latest physical). Also, the cost was about 1/3 of what we paid in MD for a home study.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about this long wait because we know how heartbreaking and agonizing it can be. But God has a plan and as hard as it is to see and understand now, I trust you will be so relieved by it when the day comes that you are holding your third child. We are sending good thoughts and prayers and hugs. Virginia's loss is Arizona's gain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God is good, all the time, and just like He has been to date, He will continue to be with you EVERY single step of the way (and mile of your trip to AZ)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Chris, my heart sank reading that. I love your optimism and know that it will all work out for you in the end. If you need a break driving cross country and need a place to relax for a few days, you are always welcome here. You guys are still in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hugs, my friend...so encouraged by your attitude and your heart. can't wait to finally rejoice with you, but until then, keep looking up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Big hugs to you! Glad the move works better for the other two kids right now. Good that you can get things stabilized and ready, although I know that's not the route you'd rather take. You are one tough cookie and that sweet baby is going to be blessed to finally be with you when your day comes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah boo! I'm so sorry you are having to wait even longer. Waiting is SO hard... Will be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete