Saturday, January 29, 2011

Doing, not waiting

I've finally gotten myself out of the waiting funk that I was in. I was spending energy waiting! How crazy is that? Now I'm trying to spend it on much more productive things and it actually makes the wait much more bearable!

So what did I do?
~Our bedroom and bedroom closet are the most organized they've been since we moved in. It's been on my to do list since October. Hurray! ;)

~The baby's room is all cleared out! We have a guest/storage room downstairs. Our parents don't mind that we store things in the guest room (I have some curtains and blankets covering up most of the storage, but it's not a beautiful room, but it's private so they don't mind). When Gift, Jackie, and Hellen were coming from Uganda I wanted to make it feel more like a nice room and less like storage with a bed, so we moved most of the storage into the baby's room. FINALLY I have cleared it out - which only entailed moving a few boxes back to storage and the rest we got rid of or is actually baby stuff that is staying in the baby's room! ;) I vacuumed in there and put some of the baby things away. The nursery isn't decorated or all done - that will wait for a referral but it will be much less overwhelming now! ;)

~I STARTED going through baby clothes - getting rid of 0-6 month completely, getting rid of all but the absolute cutest 9 month, and culling out all sizes down to what I'd actually want to re-use (I mean, come one - who doesn't want to do a little shopping?!?). We're making progress and soon B and E will be able to use their closet for it's intended purpose, not storing baby clothes! ;)

~ This is something I've wanted to do for a while, but I'm BAD at it. I want to memorize scripture. Last week, my friend, J (our boys are in Taekwondo together), told me she was memorizing 2 scriptures per month. That's not too daunting. Even 1 per month is more than I'm doing. But I didn't do anything to change that right away - I did keep thinking about it though (thank you J for challenging me!). Yesterday I read Brandi's blog and finally did something. I copied down 4 of the verses that really struck me onto index cards and I'm going to memorize them. I have 1 memorized already! ;) Thank you Brandi for that extra push!!!

So I'm focusing much less on waiting and more on doing things. Our snow days have been productive! Wow! We've built forts, done some baking, played lots of board games (Ben learned to play Risk!), played in the snow, built a snowman (that I'm trying to upload pictures of but failing), cleaned out some closets, and memorized at least 1 scripture. We've song songs and read books! I'm feeling good. On top of that we all had some downtime and we're ALL excited to get out of the house today!!! YAY!!! :)

10 comments:

  1. Wow!! This is awesome!! You are an inspiration, indeed. What a great attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely an inspiration!!! We've been working on one room at a time ourselves. I love your idea of 2 scriptures a month. A good attainable goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must be a common theme in the adoption world to start cleaning out room by room while waiting. Doesn't it feel good, though?? Yesterday I went to target and stocked up on organizing bins and baskets. Next stop...label maker:) Glad you are feeling upbeat anyways..have an awesome weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. about scripture--have you heard of Seeds Family Worship?? Check out some of their videos on youtube. I am going to order some of their CDs today. What a fun way to memorize scripture--for the whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to spend your time waiting! You're an inspiration! Stay patient, I know it will happen soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to do a little more.. the wait is so hard!!! Glad you found a way to get out of the funk for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! it sounds like you are doing a fantastic job being productive! i wish i was more productive during our wait.....my closet is mad at me for that right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm glad your finding ways to keep the wait from dominating your life - i know that's not easy to do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am with you on the "doing"..you know what they say about the watched pot!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh boy have you been productive! Trying to get motivated myself...

    ReplyDelete